There have been a number of excellent books written in recent years about domestic abuse within the Church
Content warning This page involves descriptions and discussion of the experiences and impacts of domestic and family violence. Some survivors might find its content troubling.
These books deal with domestic violence in a church context:
- Battered into Submission: The Tragedy of Wife Abuse in the Christian Home, James Alsdurf and Phyllis Alsdurf, Eugene.
- Battered Women: From a Theology of Suffering to an Ethic of Empowerment, Joy Bussert.
- Beyond Abuse in the Christian Home: Raising Voice for Change, Catherine Clark Kroeger, Nancy Nason-Clark, Barbara Fisher-Townsend (Eds).
- Counseling Families Across the Stages of Life: A Handbook for Pastors and Other Helping Professionals, Andrew Weaver, Linda Revilla and Harold Koenig.
- Counseling Women – A Narrative, Pastoral Approach, Christie Neuger.
- The Courage Coach: A Practical, Friendly Guide On How To Heal From Abuse, Ashley Easter.
- Domestic Violence and the Church, Helen L. Conway.
- Domestic Violence: What Every Pastor Needs to Know, Al Miles and Catherine Kroeger.
- Family Violence: The Compassionate Church Responds, Melissa Miller.
- Healing Spiritual Abuse: How to Break Free from Bad Church Experiences, Ken Blue.
- Healing the Hurting: Giving Hope & Help to Abused Women, Catherine Kroeger and James Beck (Eds).
- Keeping the Faith: Guidance for Christian Women Facing Abuse, Marie Fortune.
- Malestrom: Manhood Swept into the Currents of a Changing World, Carolyn Custis James.
- No Place for Abuse: Biblical & Practical Resources to Counteract Domestic Violence, Catherine Kroeger and Nancy Nason-Clark.
- Not Marked: Finding Hope and Healing after Sexual Abuse, Mary DeMuth
- Refuge from Abuse: Healing and Hope for Abused Christian Women, Nancy Nason-Clark and Catherine Clark Kroeger.
- Render unto God: Economic Vulnerability, Family Violence, and Pastoral Theology, James Poling with contributions by Brenda Ruiz and Linda Crockett.
- Telling the Truth: Preaching About Sexual and Domestic Violence, John McClure and Nancy Ramsay (Eds).
- The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse: Recognizing and Escaping Spiritual Manipulation and False Spiritual Authority Within the Church, David Johnston and Jeff Van Vonderen.
- The Verbally Abusive Relationship: How to Recognize it and How to Respond, Patricia Evans.
- Violence Against Women and Children: A Christian Theological Sourcebook, Carol Adams, Marie Fortune and Mary Fortune (Eds).
- Violence in the Family: A Workshop Curriculum for Clergy and Other Helpers, Marie Fortune.
- Weep Not For Your Children: Essays on Religion and Violence, Lisa Isherwood and Rosemary Radford Ruether (Eds).